Saturday, October 11, 2008

There's Always A Learning Curve

Okay, so the oldest is now a freshman in high school. I am learning that for me high school can be more stressing for the parent than the child. This is where the grades come into play. She's always made good grades pretty easily. She's classified as a talented and gifted child and this year she is in all honor's classes with the exception of one. Then to my shock they placed her in an AP class as a freshman. Immediately I went into stress overload as that's they thing I tend to do. So, the first progress report comes out and there's a D on it. What!? My tears start flowing as I feel in some strange way that I could have done something to help her. In all of my kid's schooling this is the second D, but a first for her. I panic and go crazy thinking we need to pull her out of the class, give her the usual parent lecture about grades, college, scholarships, GPA-you can imagine it all. The teacher requests a conference and we go there on Thursday night. My stomach is turning and I'm a little sweaty thinking, okay he's going to recommend that she goes to a lower class. To my surprise he states that most of the kids are in her same position at this point as this class is a huge shock to a freshman. He goes on to state that she's in the middle portion of the grades as well and it will get better. Okay, I start to pick my jaw up off of the desk. Supposively as the class year continues the kids will become more efficient, better organized, etc and this class will prepare them to become exceptional students. Maybe there is hope for my disorganized child. Will she transform? Only time will tell, but I can't wait for it to happen!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment