Sunday, September 13, 2009

Jalapeno Popper Dip

I've been on a dip kick lately and I saw Rachael Ray make this dip the other day on her show. I didn't write it down at the time as I figured I could go to the website and get the recipe. Well, I couldn't find it anywhere on the website so I'm doing my best to re-create from memory...
Note to self: when cutting and taking the seeds out of the jalapenos, remember to wash your hands because when you accidentally lick your finger later on it may cause your lips or tongue to burn. (I'm speaking from experience today :).)

Here goes:

2 fresh jalapenos, minus the seeds if you don't want the heat

1 brick cream cheese, softened

8 oz sour cream

2 cups cheddar cheese or taco flavored cheese

crushed tortillas chips for the top

Your choosing of chips or veggies for dipping

The recipe originally called for the jalapenos to be blackened and then chopped. I didn't do this, but I did chop the jalapenos and then sauteed them in a skillet to soften them. When softened, I mixed the jalapenos, cream cheese, sour cream, and 1 cup cheese in a mixing bowl. After mixing until smooth, I transferred the mixture into an oven safe dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and finish with some crushed tortilla chips. Place in 350-degree oven for approx. 15 minutes or until heated through. After taking it out of the oven, let sit for a few minutes to cool. Enjoy with your favorite chips or veggies!

I decided to take the seeds and membranes out of the jalapenos this go around since I didn't know what the heat level would be. After trying the dip, I may leave some seeds in for heat the next time.

1 comment: